Friday, August 9, 2013

Light it up


So here is my "new" baby! I'm proud to present you the result of my little project. I've had this denimvest for many years.. First it was a jacket.. Then, I cut the sleeves off and made some holes. I did like it more that way, but was still kinda put off by the intense blue colour. Appearently, I always wanted it to be a neutral peace and as you can see, it was not. So, without further ado, here's how I bleached it:
You need: An open space. Do this on a balcony or in your backyard. A big garbage bag to protect the floor.
Rubber gloves.  Bleach and a spraybottle. (You can just fill a bucket and put your item in there, but I think that's wasteful)
Your denim piece. Shorts, a jacket or a vest.
So, after I layed down my garbage bag and filled the spraybottle, I put on a glove and got started. Another reason why I didn't use a bucket was that I wanted a certain transition. As you can see, the sides are slightly darker than the area around the buttons. I wanted those "lines" to be extra light, so I sprayed on more layers.
If you're going to use this method, be patient. Just cover the piece all over first, and then concentrate on cetain areas. Don't forget to turn it around, though, hehe. You're not going to see the effect until 15 min. have passed, so it's probably smart to take breaks inbetween the spraying. Just to see if it's enough.
When your item has the colour you want, throw it in the washingmachine on a pretty low teperature. That will stop the bleaching prosses and lock the colour in.
I hope this instruction was helpful and clear.. If you try it or have questions, please let me know in the comments! Thanks so much for stopping by.


After about 10 min. of constant spraying.  
Sorry for the quality, mobile shot.. But here she is again & I'm wearing her all the time..



1 comment:

  1. I like how you call the west her haha xD really nice walkthrough and easy to understand! same goes for the DIY ombre nails, easy to understand and explained in a simple manner with good pics to illustrate :P

    ReplyDelete